Verb

Verb:-
  • A verb is a word which denotes an action, possession, relation or state of being.
  • A verb is a word used to tell or assert something about some person or thing.
  • Verbs may be a word or a group of words.
e.g. laugh, eat, run, play, is, am, are, was, were, could, shall, will, should, etc.

Examples expressing the uses of words in the sentence.

Action
  • Children run.
  • The man was walking.
  • The clock strikes.
  • I was taught.
  • He will come.
Relation/ possession
  • I have a laptop.
  • The cow has two eyes.
  • A king had three queens.
  • The poor man had no money.
State of being
  • Sita is tall.
  • They are happy.
  • He was a poor man.
KINDS OF VERBS
On the basis of use of verbs in the sentence verbs are classified into two category. They are.....
  1. Main verbs
  2. Helping verbs
1. Main verbs:-
                            The verbs used alone or together with helping verbs are called main verbs.
e.g. 
  • I am a boy.
  • I love her.
  • I am reading.
  • He will do it.
2. Helping verbs:-
                                A helping verb is one which helps the main verb to  form a tense, voice, mood etc.
e.g. 
  • I am reading.
  • He will go.
  • My brother has come.
  • You should do this. 
There are auxiliary verbs also which are used as helping verbs. They are....
    am, is, are, was, were, do, does, did, have, has, had, shall, will, can, could, may, might, must, ought, should, would, need, dare, used to. 

There are some auxiliary verbs which can be used as both main and helping verbs. They are....
    am, is, are, was, were, have, has, had, do, does, did, need and dare 
e.g.
  • He is ready. ( is - Main Verb)
  • He is going. (is - Helping verb)
  • Did he come. (did - Helping verb)
  • He did this. (did - Main verb)

Note :-
1) If there is only one verb in the sentence then the only verb will be known as main verb.
e.g. 
  • I have a dog. (have - Main verb)
  • He is a boy. ( is - Main verb)
2) If there are two or more than two verbs used in the sentence then, the last verb will be known as the main verb and rest of the verbs will be known as helping verbs.
e.g.
  • I have been reading. (have - helping verb; been - helping verb; reading- main verb)
  • I have been a teacher. (have - helping verb; been - main verb)

TRANSITIVE AND INTRANSITIVE VERBS
Main verbs are classified into two categories. 
  1. Transitive Verb
  2. Intransitive Verbs
1. Transitive Verbs:-
                                       The verbs used with an object is called a transitive verb.
e.g.
  • Ram eats rice.
  • I love you.
  • He has helped you.
  • I know this.
  • My brother has read the book.
  • I like these beautiful flowers.
    In these sentences above rice, you, you, this, the book and these beautiful flowers are objects. So, the verbs used here are called transitive verbs.

2. Intransitive Verb:- 
                                       The verbs used without an object is called an intransitive verb.
 e.g. 
  • I eat.
  • I sleep.
  • I go to school.
  • He gets up at five o' clock.
  • Ram walks in the field.
  • He ran fast.
There is no objects used in the sentences given above. So, The verbs used here are called intransitive verbs.


Some special notes
1) There are some verbs which are always intransitive. e.g., go, come, sit, sleep, die, etc.
2) Most of the verbs can be used both as intransitive and transitive verb. When they are used with objects, they are called transitive, otherwise intransitive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adverb

Parts of speech